SOCIAL GATHERINGS and work-related interactions among those 24 to 40 years old, described as “high risk behaviors” by Davao City’s coronavirus task force, were cited as the main cause of the recent surge in local transmissions.
“We all know millennials, these are the population with high-risk behaviors. This is the age group that love to socialize, have get-together in social gatherings. Since they are also part of the working group, they go out to socialize and interact. They are likely highly to get infected,” Michelle B. Schlosser, task force spokesperson, said partly in Filipino in a statement from the city government.
As of June 19, the city recorded 21,453 coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases, 62% of which or 13,394 belong to the 20-49 age group, according to City Health Office acting head Ashley G. Lopez.
Broken down further into specific age brackets, Mr. Lopez said the 20-29 group accounted for the highest number of COVID-19 cases at 5,721, followed by the 30-39 group with 4,584.
Ms. Schlosser said the recovery rate is high among millennials and many are asymptomatic.
The city is currently under the second strictest quarantine level and social gatherings, including home visits, are prohibited.
Earlier this week, Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio said the city government is looking at setting up an additional 250 isolation beds as well as preparing medical care kits for asymptomatic and mild patients who can do home-isolation and guided through telemedicine.
The city currently has 2,408 beds dedicated to COVID-19 patients, with 873 still available as of June 21.
“We are working on four more (isolation facilities). The biggest one is the one at the Department of Public Works and Highways but we are not optimistic about it since it still needs a lot of work before it can be used. So, we have three (others) that we are readying and we know will be utilized soon,” Ms. Carpio said over the local government-run radio. — MSJ